Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Swathe Sleeves and Free-Form Crochet

I've been thinking about adding sleeves to the Swathe sweater.  I wore it during some cool-ish evenings in March.  I've been trying to decide if I want to join a straight-topped sleeve or one that curved; taper the sleeve or not; add a garter row or two to the wrist; and, finally, show the stockinette or reverse it like the body of the sweater.  I guess I have all summer to decide.

So, in the meantime, I bought this online, download booklet called free-form crochet.  There's a capelet in there that is really pretty. So I started it.  Looks good so far. I started with multiples of the basic pieces, 12 flowers, 12 large leaves, 6 broad leaves and 22 lacey leaves:

Then join the various pieces.  I drew a paper "form" for this formless design in order to make it look like I wanted.  The side pieces were mirror images of each other.  Here's where I joined the flowers and large leaves:

 and the other leaves for the front and back:
The next part was to crochet some mesh around the joined sections:

So then it was Talladega 500 weekend and my husband really wants "racing" socks so I had to set that aside and get something going on the socks.  I am trying to figure out how to get the "17" on them. This picture isn't up to date, I've added two stripes at the ankle and the heal is started in black. The instep and remainder of the foot will be yellow but the toe will be black. The yellow is also much brighter than the picture shows, DeWalt yellow to be exact. 

I've been obsessed with the socks.  They are going so fast, they really are racing socks!!!

I'll have a lot of church to do this week but hopefully I can finish the capelet and the sock this week.  Stayed tuned!