Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Post Christmas Blues…and Greens!

I am reviewing the 2010 project list, you know, what got done, what didn’t, what shouldn’t have been done in first place. I think I did a lot of work this year.

I made four quilts for my nieces, three of whom were present at the unveiling and only one showing delight in the gift. I guess that’s about 25% "Like it" on quilts.

Also five men’s hats were knitted. My plan was to photograph each guy in his hat candidly, action shots for my Ravelry site. Since it was too warm to wear them, I didn’t get to see what they looked like. My son and step son may have actually thrown them away from the look on their faces when they opened them, although my brother-in-law seemed to really like his. My husband swears he loves his but I think he may be bluffing but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I couldn’t tell if my dad liked his or not. I did match it to the socks I made him. So I’ll say 40% "like-factor" on the hats and 0% on the socks.

I made two prayer shawls: one for my mom and one for my step mom. My step mom loved it. She wore it all day one of the days we were there and she really showed it off to everyone. My mom on the other hand showed my grandmother the shawl her friend made her and not the one I made her. That’s 50%-er for sure.

Not sure what became of the burgundy headband I made my step daughter. It may be under the bed by now, but that’s not really a "tell" if she liked it or not. Since she actually tried it on and seemed remotely interested in it, I’ll give this one a 50%.

Now, remember the piece de resistance (from Contrary-Wise blog)? The bamboo shrug I made my sister? I said, excitedly of course, "its a shrug!" She said, "I know what it is." I am pretty sure this one got a 0%. Wow, how much time did I put into that thing? Crap, the yarn cost a bleeding fortune. I should have given it to my co-worker that I had tried it on to see if it fit. She would have loved it more I think. /sigh. Maybe I can sneak in her closet next time I’m there and take it back, if it is still in the box, then I’m home free!

As for the dishcloths, those seemed to go over well. My Gramma, aunt and uncle liked them I think. I think I got maybe an 80% acceptance factor on those.

I may have gotten 90% or maybe a 100% from my husband on his sweater. He does really seem to like it but its been way too hot to wear. He wore it to my sister’s house for new year’s eve but had to borrow a t-shirt from my BIL because he was sweating. LOL have to laugh at that. It did make me feel good that he tried.

So if I analyze the data, I think I should stick to dishcloths or purchased items in the future. Its not my place to try to put a new face on Christmas in my family. Homemade junk is just not popular. I do feel dejected even though its not a requirement to like homemade junk.

Next Year's theme: Scentsy!!!!

So now I guess I’ll put my big girl pants on and make stuff for me and my husband. This year he wants socks in "DeWalt yellow." Well, ok, DeWalt Yellow it is.

On to 2011, undaunted! Knitting like my head is on fire!

Rowan Drift. The most beautiful yarn I’ve ever seen. This is Plantation. A gorgeous green with yellow-green and blue-black threads mixed in. Size US15 needles so this is going fast. I know for a fact the person I’m knitting this for will love it to pieces.



Happy New Year and may all your projects be blessings to whomever receives them.

No comments:

Post a Comment