Sunday, January 30, 2011

The January Effect

I have noticed on all of the blogs I read that they all are concerned with unfinished projects. As a general rule, I am a good finisher, meaning I finish what I start at least 90% of the time.  But I noticed that I've started a good many projects lately that are un-done. 

I think this is what I call The January Effect.  We start the new year by clearing out the old.  Most of us are like that I think.  So in December, I had this frenzy of everything I wanted to do in 2011.  I had limited myself to four projects and guess what?  I not only started those four and had a great start, I started four other things. I made three hats and a pair of gloves.  I mean I started five, because I also started a crochet shrug.  I used to say crochet didn't count because its not knitting.  Who's fooling who?

The three hats and one pair of gloves are done, but the four main things I wanted to work on are in various stages of completion.  The Rowan Winter Drift sweater has a completed back. The "mixed media" sweater also has 95% of the back done.  The one piece garter sweater is actually pretty close to half way and the baby blanket is well past half. 

The main thing I wanted to accomplish in 2011 was to "knit-down" my inventory.  I came up with little plans to use up some of my excess stash.  And then I promptly went out (online mostly) and bought MORE!  Why did I buy more yarn?  This is the whiplash of The January Effect. I start thinking I can get all this done, I am so efficient.  I started knitting in June of 2010 and have made forty or more knitted items.  I am so conceited, lol.

So next month is February, Knitters Repentance.  I will turn from my "start a bunch a stuff" ways and bend low over the current in-progress and mend my ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment