Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Brand New Day

Today is my first day without a job.  I have to admit its a bit frightening. I have worked all my life except for when I had my son and that was another whole career in itself, a very different kind of work.  So Besides sending out resumes and cleaning out my closet, I've been trying to get my knitting in order.  I think the knitting will keep me sane during this transition period.

So as usual I have several irons in the fire.  First up is the Sweet Shawlette I started last month.  When my mom's birthday came up I just put it down and haven't touched it (except to move it around the yarn room).

I would really like to complete this as my first lacey shawl.  I picked out and "faved" about 8 yesterday on Ravelery.  This includes the Catkin pattern that Yarn Harlot blogged about yesterday.  It really is spectacular.  I've never seen anything quite like it. It looks complicated so I am saving it for when I've learned more about knitting shawls in lace patterns.

Second I have started a large cabled wrap to wear over a coat (which I don't have a coat). In between each cable once completed the stitch is dropped.  Right now its just looks all twisted up.  Gee I hope it looks better when I'm done...

The third little thing I started was a chunky yarn weekender cardigan.  I've always wanted one of these and the pattern is so cute.  Just the ribbing so far but I've taken a lesson from Dona Knits and I am watching the angle of the needles when knitting and purling to be sure they are 90 degrees to each other on each stitch.  Voila! the stitching in quite even.  Thanks, Dona!
 
Lastly and definitely not least I have a quilted banner to do.  This is not knitting, this is my old pal, quilting which I haven't done since last year.  I'll put pictures out as this progresses. It will look like the stained glass windows in my church.  My church is about 115 years old (which if you are from europe you are probably saying, "thats new, huh?")  But here in texas, that is kinda old for a wooden country church. In fact in the 1970's it was moved from Terrell, Texas to Heath, Texas. 


I said "lastly" but if you follow my blog you know that its just not true!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment