Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Yarn Harlot Sighting in Fairview Texas

It was a warm evening.  Around 82F, which is 30 degrees cooler than this summer if you think about it.  I left home at 4:30 so I would arrive in Fairview by 5:30.  My plan was to arrive, get a bite to eat, have a cup of coffee find a seat or space in line.  It all worked out great.  It went according to plan.  The sandwhich I had at A Real Bookstore was just great. Okay, not just great, I mean really great.  They even gave me two small bites of cookie and cake that were awesome.  I don't know what was in that cookie but I would drive another hour for another quarter of a cookie to be honest.

So in true Texas form the ladies arrived with about half in flipflops, about another 30% in tennis shoes and then the rest of us (and that is very few) in boots.  I had on my black boots, and sat by a nice lady who not only had on some pretty snazzy boots but periodically read me the Texas-Cardinals World Series of baseball score that her husband was texting to her.

I sat between two women who's husband's, like mine, were at home having an aneurysm over the baseball score.  As it turned out, the Texas Rangers won and all was well.  We were afraid of what our homes would look like when we got home if they lost.

Best of all, 90% of us were knitting, laughing, knitting, sharing, knitting.  Really fun.  We sat there for an hour and I won't say waiting because it's not like waiting when you have your knitting.  My Observations:  most knitters don't look directly at the knitting while knitting.  I was astounded.  I taught myself to knit and usually knit at home or, if away from home, I'm the only knitter.  So being in a situation where everyone was looking at each other whilst knitting was a new phenomenom. Holy Buckets, Batman!!!

The bookstore person introduced her as Stephanie Phee-McPearl.  Small snickering occured with this.  I think most of us were going "hmmm, that's not quite right, is it?"

So here we go:
First Sighting

Me and Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

The New Book


The Signature
 So I could tell she was exhausted.  I was at the signing table about 30 seconds.  Our conversation consisted of how she couldn't get any decent vegitarian food and I explained that she was, in fact, in beef country.  We took pictures. I moved on. As I was leaving I couldn't help but feel that my 30 seconds of meeting someone I admire so much was an inconvenience for her and I was glad to be leaving her in peace.  I would do it over again but next time, I'll just opt out of the book signing part.  I'll enjoy the reading and then head for the farm to see the baseball game.

I can't remember when I've had such a fun, funny and interesting evening.  "Thanks for coming to Texas, YH.  When you come next time, I'm going to wave at you from across the room, Okay?"

No comments:

Post a Comment